tripping the life unbalanced

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Grumpy Barbie

My daughter has recently officially entered the girly years. Suddenly, and without much warning to me, she is all about pink and bracelets and GOD FORBID Barbie. I wasn't a Barbie girl myself - never really understood the pleasure of matching miniature shoes and dresses. But suddenly, since she has started a new daycare that has some Barbies, Miss A has fallen in love with the tall, boobs-overloaded, small-ankled perma-smile Barbie.

She recently became the proud owner of this strange book of Barbie stickers, as a result of this new love affair. It's the oddest book - it is full of just Barbie heads. Tiny little Barbie faces that are about the size of a thumbnail. And like, 20 pages of them, 25 to a page.

We were playing with these odd friends the other day, and I was putting the little heads on my fingers, and acting out a puppet show for my delighted girl. I called one of them "grumpy Barbie" and, using a high pitched drawl (don't ask me how or why) was saying things like "I am grumpy Barbie. I am sick of this perma grin on my face. Why does my hair always have to be so perfect?" Alice giggled and giggled.

Of course now, she is obsessed with grumpy Barbie. To the point that she always wants to look at that one Barbie head (out of the hundreds in this book). She will peel it on and off out its respective sticker "hole" in the book, again and again.

And just this morning yelled out "I HAVE TO FIND GRUMPY BARBIE'S HOLE, MOMMY!"

I kid you not. I, of course, had myself a good morning giggle and went to her, straight-faced, to help my daughter find grumpy Barbie's hole. What a great way to start my day.

2 Comments:

  • This is very funny!

    Ann D
    http://anndouglas.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Ann D, at 2:18 p.m.  

  • You're right. Those Bratz dolls are like a teen starlet gone bad....

    By Blogger Ann D, at 10:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home