tripping the life unbalanced

Sunday, May 21, 2006

dear internet

Oh internet, I need help. HELP, I say.

In true Crabby Kate form, I ruined a perfectly awesome meal last night. We had some guests over and I was making this great Moroccan stew. And while the oven was turned to 375, I also managed to cook my coffee pot that was sitting on a burner. And the plastic that was at the bottom of this pot, you ask? Oh yes. It cooked too. It melted away while I was out of the kitchen, as I was feeling proud that I had actually put together a decent meal for guests. Proud for about 10 minutes, until I smelled that putrid stink that only melted plastic can make. And not only did the plastic melt on the burner, but all the way down into the stove. Making it so everytime I turn on the oven now, we are all subjected to toxic fumes. I am so awesome.

Has anyone had this happen to them? How should I get melted plastic off my element and out of my stove? I am turning to you, internet, in my time of need. Please come through for me, will ya?

7 Comments:

  • Don't fear...this has happened to my sister, too and it was easy to fix as 1,2,3.

    1, call Sears
    2, let them in the door
    3, stand back while they replace your oven with a new, shiney non-plasticized unit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 p.m.  

  • (laughing at you, not with you)


    What are you trying to be? Me?

    Thankfully, there are a lot of other screw-ups out there, including some who don't know how to get s#m#n out of besheets.

    http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/FAQ/1838-1

    (hahahaha - is this why I am coming over for a lovely SALAD tomorrow?)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:43 p.m.  

  • Oh great, now we can't make scrambled eggs for lunch!! I'll be calling in sick.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 p.m.  

  • Oh! My RRHB did this once, only it was our brand new toaster that he burnt on top of the element. He simply opened up all the windows, scraped as much of the plastic off of it as he could, and let the sucker burn. I hope your dinner turned out okay, regardless of the little hiccup.

    By Blogger Deanna McFadden, at 4:46 p.m.  

  • My sister melted my mother's tupperware on their cooktop a few years ago. Here's the plan:
    1. take batteries out of smoke detectors
    2. use plastic scraper to take off as much plastic off all surfaces as possible
    3. Turn on elements and wait for rest of it to burn off.

    (lather, rince, repeat as necessary)

    By Blogger Heather, at 8:28 p.m.  

  • ... and wear a gas mask while you wait for it all to burn off.

    Ugh. I've been there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 p.m.  

  • If nothing else, you can also replace just the elements - prolly relatively inexpensive compared to, say, a new stove.

    By Blogger kittenpie, at 8:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home