tripping the life unbalanced

Monday, May 22, 2006

from the "I'm sure she's using a metaphor for loving me" file

Conversation today, between Alice and I as we lay down for a nap together:

Me: You were so well-behaved today, Alice, and that makes mommy really happy

Alice: (stares up at me with big BIG eyes)

Me: (gush of emotion) You're growing up so quickly, and I love you so much

Alice: (puts her arm up around my neck)

Me: (getting close to Movie-Of-the-Week teary. voice wavering) And I hope we will always be close

Alice: (beckons me down toward her, so I can her what she whispers)

Me: (prepares myself for another cute love-in from my daughter, blinking back tears. Knowing that her heartfelt reply is going down in my memory bank to pull out when I'm feeling down some day later in life when she starts to pull away from me)

Me:Yes, yes sweetie?

Alice: Mommy, when I grow up, you will have to call me Mr. Fix-It. That will be my new name.




Oh. Right.

9 Comments:

  • Gotta love it when they do things like that :-). Too funny.

    By Blogger chichimama, at 5:51 a.m.  

  • Oh Kate, if it makes you feel better, I'll call you Mrs. Fix It from now on.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:30 p.m.  

  • I am laughing at my desk. The best part is that I get to know Alice, and you, and that makes this story even funnier. It just adds a whole 'nother layer to it.

    By Blogger scarbie doll, at 12:05 p.m.  

  • That is really cute. My oldest's first little hand-made book was titled my mom duz things.
    I'm a real duzzer. To this day.
    Little pearls of wisdom from little wee ones. Write it down.
    Cheers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:04 p.m.  

  • That's very funny!

    By Blogger Anne, at 6:58 a.m.  

  • Well, is she good at fixing things? Cause if so I think that's a valid request - poorly timed but valid.

    By Blogger BabyonBored, at 2:35 p.m.  

  • *giggles*
    i lurve the cute thangs our kiddos say..

    By Blogger skatey katie, at 10:09 p.m.  

  • the joy of the toddler non-sequitur... And you know what? I bet it will go in the memory banks forever too!

    By Blogger kittenpie, at 8:36 a.m.  

  • At least YOU'LL be the one remembering this for a long, long time...

    By Blogger Suzanne, at 8:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home