tripping the life unbalanced

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

sometimes, it's the little things that push me over the edge

Alice has been home sick the last few days and Matt and I have barely had a chance to shout obscenities at each other as we passed off child care shifts. The benefit of owning your own business is that you can make up your eight hours in the evening. But the downfall of owning your own business? That you end up working in the evening when you could be doing more productive things like..oh...catching up on American Idol.

Surprisingly, I've been super efficient the last few days and have actually managed to cope with the stress without resorting to my old friends Ativan or Masi. Oh I sighed pretty heavily and sworn a few times under my breath, but for the most part I've stayed pretty calm.

Until tonight, when I saw (or rather - heard) this.

Oh Ben Gibbard (and the other guy from the Postal Service) just what the FUCK are you doing? Look, I understand that bands sometimes do the whole commercial licensing thing (remember the whole uproar over that Moby album, anyone?) I get it, and usually I don't raise a wagging finger. But god, you have taken a song that is important to me and destroyed it. It's one of the only songs that I truly could play at any time of the day and manage to smile. And I know you don't know me and you don't owe this little blogger anything but I feel I must tell you how let down I felt when I saw that commercial. All of the impatience that has simmered inside me for the past few days as I've doted on a sick child has now risen to the surface. In a pile of rage.

What's left for me now, Ben, WHAT'S LEFT FOR ME NOW?

8 Comments:

  • Oh, Kate. I'm with you. It's like the LA's "There She Goes". It's being used for everything - and it used to be such a lovely song about heroin. And the lead guy who went crazy and never wrote anything else so fantastic, and so it's this rare, pure gem of jangly perfect pop that stops me in my tracks...

    What's next? Using Iggy Pop's Lust for Life to sell Club Med cruises?!













    oh.















    never mind.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:40 p.m.  

  • Violent Femmes selling me Wendy's burgers... that was my proverbial straw-camel-back thingy. I'm so with you on this one.

    And Masi is my good friend too.

    By Blogger motherbumper, at 8:38 p.m.  

  • Look at what I just read about "Such Great Heights" on Wikipedia:

    "It has also been used in several television commercials, for organizations such as Ask.com, Kaiser Permanente, Target, UPS and M&M's"

    That makes you feel alot worse, doesn't it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 p.m.  

  • So Ben Gibbard got a call from his publisher (or possibly record label or manager) and they said we've been working really hard with your amazing catalogue of fine gems and now UPS is offering a crap load of money for a background use on their website. Do you think Ben Gibbard should say no? "I don't want or need crap loads of money. And thanks for signing me to a deal but I'm not going to cooperate with you business people who spend all day long presenting my songs to music supervisors, ad agencies and the likes." Of course not. Take the Money! And Run!

    Fans shouldn't get angry at the bands. Embrace that your favourite bands are having success. (Sorry, I'll end my rant now... The music publisher person sulks back into her corner...)

    By Blogger ms blue, at 2:26 p.m.  

  • Bands can sell out all they want; I don't blame them, but it doesn't make it any less depressing to their fans. Now when I listen to "Blister in the Sun" all I'll be able to think about is hamburgers. It's a cryin' shame.

    P.S. - Totally off-topic, but while I'm thinking of it...that question you asked me about having a second child a loooong time ago? About it being not too bad? It's not bad at all! For me, going from one to two was SO MUCH easier than going from zero to one. Like a million times easier. Seriously. In case you still cared. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 p.m.  

  • Here's the thing - I totally get the take-the-money-and-run deal. I truly do. Heck, even in my own profession (tv) I just recently had a meeting where the words "corporate dollars" and "preschool television" were discussed. And I was very much on the pro side. And I truly truly don't want to revisit any wars on artistic license and money, because really if I were in that position I can't say I would walk away from cash.

    But in rare moments, I sometimes just want a piece of music that's special to me to stay only mine. And I know that's impossibl, and obviously ridiculous, because truly music belongs to everyone. Such Great Heights just is THAT song for me. I don't know why I'm so bugged about UPS taking it on - it's not like Zach Braff didn't totally already appropriate it for a generation of hipsters.

    So that's my beef, but I do appreciate your point of view, Jana. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the other side of this argument, so I do get it.:)

    By Blogger crabbykate, at 6:43 p.m.  

  • I do think of music as art. But the purpose of creating art is for people to be exposed to it and also to enjoy it. Otherwise the artists would keep it to themselves.

    I find it fascinating that people are always up in arms when their favourite artists and songs get used commercially.

    I'm proud when my things I love gain success. Radio airplay... Film usage... Commercials... When I love something I want everyone to discover it.

    Knowing that an artist achieves monetary gain means that they can continue to create more or the legacy and art continues on. That could mean a new generation of fans or it guarantee many more albums to be made.

    Too many fans think that the artists are selling out and that's why they get angry. However the concept of it being special to only you is new to me. It's given me something to think about. I value discovering this perspective so thanks for sharing this.

    By Blogger ms blue, at 9:24 p.m.  

  • Oh, I feel your pain. I was trying to work on a freelance job last night while trying to watch Idol and couldn't concentrate on any of the snarky comments! Damn work! The injustice!

    By Blogger sweatpantsmom, at 5:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home