tripping the life unbalanced

Thursday, March 16, 2006

#17 Goodnight Nobody

Hmmmm...Does anybody else think it's odd that I am posting about reigning mainstream chick lit author Jennifer Weiner's Goodnight Nobody just after my hate-on for Envy?? Well yes of course I did it on purpose. Because frankly, the character from this book is the female version of Will in Envy. One dimensional. Stereotypical. Bored suburban mom plays detective! Oh my what will she learn about herself in the process??

But you know what? This book, I can read all the way through. This book I can apparently stay up until 2AM to finish. This book I can jump on as soon as I get it out of the library, ahead of more literary picks. This book was like a comfort food amidst the stack of boring reads I just couldn't finish after the first 20 pages.

This book outs me as not-so-much-a-book-snob as I would like to believe.

5 Comments:

  • I love reading your book reviews. Confession: I just finished "The Devil Wears Prada" in two evenings and although the writing was mediocre at best, I can't say I hated it. I love great literature with the best of them, but I'm definitely not a book snob either... more like a book whore.

    By Blogger Jackie, at 10:41 p.m.  

  • I've been waiting for you to get to a book that I've read too. I decided when you made up your list that I would join in on the reading fun. Mostly because I love to read and have exhausted all my favourite authors. Why not try something new and exciting?

    Honestly? I loved loved loved Goodnight Nobody. I didn't put it down. Then I read others on the list. Very interesting, well written, but difficult to finish (just wait until you read The Accidental. Very very, um, crazy). Luckily, my being outted as the not-quite-as-well-read-or-interested
    -in-reading-classic-books was not an internet publisized event!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 a.m.  

  • Comfort books are a necessity sometimes, just as vital as a bag of potato chips and a deep bowl of onion dip.

    Not that anybody's eating that around here. I'm just saying...

    (hey- thanks for visiting my blog!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 p.m.  

  • Processed cheese goes down better in mac 'n' cheese than it does in a dish that is masquerading as nouvelle cuisine. Trash lit is good - mmmm good - because it's straight-up junk food. So it can get away with all sorts of crap that more pretentious lit-er-a-TURE cannot.

    I haven't read either Envy or Goodnight Nobody, but I know what I'll be going for first...

    By Blogger Her Bad Mother, at 10:46 a.m.  

  • http://daddytypes.com/archive/2006/03/24/goodnight_chick_lit_everywhere.php

    See this?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home