tripping the life unbalanced

Thursday, February 23, 2006

what's that sound in the night?

So the big girl saga contines. Now that Alice has started to become a little more accustomed to the no-crib-bars thing, she has discovered how free she really is. Every night we have to tell her to get back to bed a million trillion times. And look people, I know this is not news to the more experienced parent out there, but this is my first time at it and GOOD LORD why does she keep getting out of her bed?

Last night, par example, we settled down to watch (a perfectly horrible movie) RED EYE (why oh why do I order this shit?). We had already done the whole "back to bed Alice" thing for about an hour. I thought she was more settled by the time we started our movie but of course I was wrong.

About 10 minutes into the movie, we heard a little voice call out "ummmm...Mommy? Something hurts in my eye?" Matt and I had a brief "your turn YOUR TURN" negotiation with me winning in the end. He grumbled up the stairs to her room and then suddenly I heard a gasp and a very loud "Alice! what did you do to your face?"

I ran up to her room to find my little one had snuck into the bathroom while we were downstairs, took out my mascara from the medicine cabinet (where all the FUCKING PILLS are of course) and proceeded to smear it all over her face. Mainly her eyes. We finally got her cleaned up (YOU try explaining waterproof mascara to a 2 year old while rubbing her face off) and back in bed. I think the whole experience tired her out and so she finally fell asleep at around 10PM.

I suppose it could have seemed really cute to anyone else - she was just trying to do something mommy does. But all I kept thinking "Christ Almighty! She can now sneak around without me hearing and get into god knows what!"

This is going to do wonders for my anxiety.

4 Comments:

  • I'm sorry, I know it's frustrating, but MY GOODNESS - this story is hilarious!!

    I have absolutely no recollection of how we kept our oldest in bed when we did the big switcheroo. He didn't get his big-boy bed until close to age 3 himself. I think it never occurred to him he could get up. NOW he finds every excuse to stay up, but he shouts from his bed - again, doesn't occur to him to get up. This wakes the baby who shares his room, of course.

    How about offering her rewards in the morning if she goes to bed and stays there? I like bribery.

    By Blogger Anne, at 3:18 p.m.  

  • I am sooo sooo sorry. we have been dealing with the no crib issue for, well, I'm not actually going to tell you for how long because you might flip out.

    We did childproof the whole upstairs of the house within an inch of it's life and put a lock on the bathroom door to preven such episodes.

    Good luck...

    By Blogger chichimama, at 6:51 a.m.  

  • Don't you think it's a little ironic that you rented RED EYE and your daughter got mascara in her eye? Some sort of weird conspiracy going on? Spooky shit.

    Well, I guess I have that to look forward to. Can't wait.

    By Blogger BabyonBored, at 7:58 p.m.  

  • OK, now I'm muffling my giggles so the boys don't wake up!

    By Blogger scarbie doll, at 12:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home