tripping the life unbalanced

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

#37. Prep

Number #37 on the 50 book challenge list was Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. And let me tell those of you who dig the "comfort food" of addictive mainstream chick lit but prefer books with a bit more substance, this book delivers the goods. Unlike Goodnight Nobody (which I admitted in my previous entry was a guilty pleasure), this book goes far beyond the surface stereotypes of girls and women. It centres around Lee - a scholarship student at a prestigious boarding school. Sittenfeld manages to capture that oh-so-slippery emotional stability of teenaged girls - the strange world between feeling like an outsider and a member of the crowd at the same time. As a reader at times you loathe her constant insecurities and posturing, and at other times you want to assure her that the world outside of high school is much bigger and can get better.

I felt submerged in Lee's world the entire time I was reading it, and I was sad to see it end. Always the sign of a favorite book for me - feeling pissed when it's over.

Most definitely recommended.

4 Comments:

  • Ooooh...boarding schools! I love boarding school books! Were there tickle fights?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:25 p.m.  

  • This really is a phenomenal public service, you know. Vetting the books.

    I'm going to pick up Prep asap.

    By Blogger Her Bad Mother, at 6:20 p.m.  

  • "Prep" was one of the best books I read last year. And I can tell you first-hand that Sittenfeld's new book (I read an advance copy) is even better. Honest.

    By Blogger Deanna McFadden, at 8:38 a.m.  

  • Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home