tripping the life unbalanced

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

can you feel the love tonight?

Oh god. It has happened. Disney has captured my sense of good taste and won't let it go. We've been watching The Lion King the past few days (because a 2 hour movie takes oh, about 5 days to get through with a preschooler). I had never seen that movie before, and apparently I'm the last person on this earth to admit to that. Even Matt, the self-professed hater of all things Disney, was surprised "never? as in NEVER seen The Lion King?" I guess I was too busy drowning myself in beer and bad romances when it came out in the theatres.

So anyway, I finally watched it and really? It didn't kill me. I know, I know - I can't believe it myself. But that first part of the movie where all the animals come running to see the new lion cub and Simba is held up to the sky? I'm embarrassed to say a few tears made their way down my pathetic traitor cheeks. I used to talk a big game about the evils of Disney and the ways they rule the world. But now, here I am bugging my daughter to just "hold on a minute, OK? I know you're about to pee your pants but mommy needs to see what happens with Scar and Simba's big throwdown." I blame her, of course, as surely it is her influence on me. She's also to blame for the Barbie doll I bought her a xmas. So there, internet.

In other news, I'm happy to report that our 4 day hiatus from active parenting was excellent. I took two days off work and just puttered around the house for most of the time. I even got to catch up on some good books and spend some quality time with Matt. We celebrated Scarbie's birthday celebrations with her on Friday night and let me just say this - I was so impressed, and a bit envious of how well she handles herself about 5 tequila shots in. We stayed out with her crowd until late and got to sleep in the next morning. The best thing, it is, this thing they call sleeping in. Even better than better-than-sex pie.

Alice came back to us refreshed and full of energy. I think all of that Lake Huron air and spoiling from her grandparents did her a world of good. And even better? We were all so happy to be reunited - it was amazing to realise how much we missed her presence in the house. We are just not our family without her.

8 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:42 p.m.  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:43 p.m.  

  • Oh, that's beautiful Kate. The last bit.

    We watched The Lion King with Josie when she was in the hospital last, and while she adored Simba and all the funny stuff - she also did notice a lot of stuff that I wasn't ready to explain. Why does Disney like dead parents so much?

    And remind me to tell you, if I haven't already, about what I read that reinforced my opinion that Disney is evil. EEEEEEVILLLLLLL.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:43 p.m.  

  • Sorry Kate - Blogger did something weird and it posted three times.




    Wait...



    it was DISNEY that did it - I'm sure. I just felt the cold dark shadow of a mouse head cast across my keyboard...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:46 p.m.  

  • Scar....what can I say, sort of like Darth Vader...I love the bad guy.
    Preview all 'kids'movies (except Little Bear), all of those companies looove dead parents.

    Anne

    By Blogger crazymumma, at 9:59 p.m.  

  • Oh no!!! Now I have that song in my head...
    which is in my very humble opinion
    worse than any Disney movie... ugh!

    Glad to hear you had a break...
    Spent some time out with M and friends
    and I KWYM about the sleeping in being better than SEX

    but the reunion with Alice...
    It must have been better than the sleep, huh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 p.m.  

  • thanks all. And Marla and AC - you are right on the money about Disney's obsession with dead parents. We had that issue come up during the samn Lion King too. I used my best parenting strategy: deflecting the question. 'Cause in my neurotic mind that just gives me more time to come up with a good answer...

    hey CEEBEE, when are you gonna get your own blog going? I'd love to be able to return the comment love! :) But seriously, you should start your own blog -it sounds like you have similiar experiences to a lot of us crazy mamas out here in Toronto. And you know I would read you at least...:)

    By Blogger crabbykate, at 10:34 p.m.  

  • CrabbyKate,

    You are sweet to suggest that I start a blog
    but to be honest with you
    I've never been very good at articulating myself using the written word.

    I absolutely LOVE your blog btw.
    Keep it up. I love that it is so REAL!
    You're a fab writer. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home