tripping the life unbalanced

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Vacation, All I ever wanted

I'm feeling nostalgic this weekend. Feverish with memories of being younger and without a child or husband and just being on my own. I'm in a repeat cycle of thinking about patio nights in the summer, pooling change for $7 pitchers of beer, and watching the nights turn into early morning haze. It's like I'm homesick for a 20 year-old me.

I don't really know why I'm feeling so maudlin about that time in my life. It's not like I led such a great life back then, nor is it like I oozed super confidence and was happy in everything I did. I suppose it's the drama of those years -the silly tears over boys and the giggly comfort of my best girl friends. It was a time without a future and where moments were grounded in the "today" of it all.

I was standing in the grocery aisle today, making important decisions regarding whether I should buy the new Lysol spray over my usual brand, when "Vacation" by the Go-Go's came on. Even though that song hit big before my young adult life really mattered,, it's not like that song doesn't remind me of my own younger days. I felt wishful and giggly and a bit remorseful all at the same time. Singing that song softly to myself in the grocery aisle doesn't really cut it against dancing to it during a heat wave at the Dance Cave years ago.

Here's the goods if you wish to indulge. If you're like me ( and I suspect some of you are), you will probably feel a little stirring at your own memory bank. My treat to you today.


Signing off now - I promise not to be so syrupy in my next post...

3 Comments:

  • It is amazing how certain songs can drag up vivid memories in an instant. Good and bad, I suppose...

    By Blogger chichimama, at 6:46 a.m.  

  • I get nostalgic-ish for those days. I don't miss my twenty-year-old self. But I miss my 20yo freedoms. I miss being able to wile away the days and nights and not worry about what it all meant or what the consequences might be. Yep. Freedom was good.

    By Blogger Her Bad Mother, at 7:36 p.m.  

  • I long for those days
    even though when I was living them
    I longed for what I have now

    I'm a freak

    OMG, the dance cave...
    How did I almost forget about it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home