tripping the life unbalanced

Friday, August 25, 2006

home again home again

Jiggity jog.

So we're back from a mondo trip to New Hampshire to visit relatives and soak in the clean New England air. 13 hour car trips do not a happy child make. But she coped very well and I was proud of her (and of her grandma, who had the insight to bring along a Princess dvd to play on the portable player for the trip there and back. My sanity, however, could use a detox).




New Hampshire, New Hampshire, how beautiful you are! With your rolling hills and very cute little towns. But DAMN you are whitey white. The whole time we were there we saw maybe one person who wasn't Caucasian. Made me crave the multiculturalism that is Toronto.

All in all, it as a great time. Lots of playing for Alice and her close-in-age cousin and lots of laughing for her mama. We were staying with my cousin who is close in age to me and with whom I spent a lot of time in my formative years. They live deep in the heart of rural New Hampshire, so it definitely was a case of city mouse visiting country mouse with Alice. While her cousin was content to wander around their lakefront property totally naked for most of our week there, Miss Alice would meekly ask "umm...do I need shoes?" whenever she stepped outside.




Matt stayed home to work so I got to spend a lot of quality time with Miss A. And while it was so very very tiring at times, it actually was even better than I thought. We got some important bonding in, which I think we both needed. She greeted me every day with a smile and a big hug, throwing her arms around my neck and saying things like "I love it when we vacation together." Pure sweetness.

We're off again tomorrow morning for a week away at the cottage, and I'll try to update from there. Adios, summer!

3 Comments:

  • have a great time!

    By Blogger crazymumma, at 7:23 p.m.  

  • Oh, I'm envious of all your time in the country. Enjoy!

    By Blogger metro mama, at 8:32 p.m.  

  • This entry made me laugh... I can totally relate to the "city mouse" thing. When Elsa and I visited my parents in Iowa for the summer, she'd freak out ("icky!") every time we went out onto the lawn without shoes. I had to explain that grass wasn't icky... it was the discarded hypodermic needles and old fast-food bags at home we needed to worry about. Oh well... they'll figure it out soon enough. Glad to hear you're getting away for a bit. Have fun!

    By Blogger Jackie, at 6:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home